Behind A Stone Wall by Rethabile Masilo | Poems Rethabile Likes

Behind A Stone Wall by Rethabile Masilo | Poems Rethabile Likes

Behind A Stone Wall

by Rethabile Masilo

Behind a stone wall
stands the rest of my father, carrying
a book with pages we will never turn.
We had buried him in a casket
lined with newspapers to keep his face
annoyed, because freedom is immortal,
he thought. He holds the book
like a slab of concrete
we should build the rest of our lives on,
like someone saying, while lifting the marble
off a tomb:
here's what's to be dealt with.
He looks like himself battling a plough
into submission. At the sound of his voice
our dog whimpers, and I hear it
scrape the bottom of a lower door at back
which father used when he came home late.
When I awake, I will myself back to sleep.
He hobbles to me and places the book
in my small hands, then turns around
and disappears without another look.



Comments