December by Sihle Ntuli | Poems Rethabile Likes
December
by Sihle Ntuli
as if the sunshine could not burn hot enough.
the flame, the name summer itself
so unassuming. today I woke with rays,
sharp edges pointed, towards me
threatening harm. I dream of ice
cold on the tongue, silencing the thirst,
smothering the conundrums of half-full-
half-empty, a glass I once shattered
only my mouth left open,
gathering rain, neck
as a waterfall. the mirages
of December have come.
there is no more water here,
only beer now. all the years
I turn down temptation
soften my resolve.
I wonder
who I would become
if I was reckless enough
to risk it all, to throw it all away?
the flame, the name summer itself
so unassuming. today I woke with rays,
sharp edges pointed, towards me
threatening harm. I dream of ice
cold on the tongue, silencing the thirst,
smothering the conundrums of half-full-
half-empty, a glass I once shattered
only my mouth left open,
gathering rain, neck
as a waterfall. the mirages
of December have come.
there is no more water here,
only beer now. all the years
I turn down temptation
soften my resolve.
I wonder
who I would become
if I was reckless enough
to risk it all, to throw it all away?
Comments