Happy Birthday, W. S. Merwin! | Poems Rethabile Likes
🎂 Happy Birthday, W. S. Merwin!
W. S. Merwin (1927–2019) — Photo via Copper Canyon Press
Poet • Two-time Pulitzer Winner • U.S. Poet Laureate • born 30 September 1927
Today we celebrate the birthday of W. S. Merwin — one of America’s most revered poets, translators, and environmentalists. Here is his quietly devastating poem, "Yesterday," a story of a son, a father, and a moment that can never be recovered.
Yesterday
My friend says I was not a good son
you understand
I say yes I understand
he says I did not go
to see my parents very often you know
and I say yes I know
even when I was living in the same city he says
maybe I would go there once
a month or maybe even less
I say oh yes
he says the last time I went to see my father
I say the last time I saw my father
he says the last time I saw my father
he was asking me about my life
how I was making out and he
went into the next room
to get something to give me
oh I say
feeling again the cold
of my father's hand the last time
he says and my father turned
in the doorway and saw me
look at my wristwatch and he
said you know I would like you to stay
and talk with me
oh yes I say
but if you are busy he said
I don't want you to feel that you
have to
just because I'm here
I say nothing
he says my father
said maybe
you have important work you are doing
or maybe you should be seeing
somebody I don't want to keep you
I look out the window
my friend is older than I am
he says and I told my father it was so
and I got up and left him then
you know
though there was nowhere I had to go
and nothing I had to do
W. S. Merwin (1927–2019) was an American poet, translator, and environmental activist. He won the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry twice — for The Carrier of Ladders (1971) and The Shadow of Sirius (2009) — and the National Book Award for Migration. He served as the 17th U.S. Poet Laureate and lived for many years on Maui, Hawaii, where he restored a former pineapple plantation into a palm forest.
Read more: Academy of American Poets • Academy of Achievement • Thriftbooks
Read more: Academy of American Poets • Academy of Achievement • Thriftbooks
Comments