Canto Two [excerpt] by John Shade (from Pale Fire) | Poems Rethabile Likes

Canto Two [excerpt] by John Shade (from Pale Fire) | Poems Rethabile Likes

Canto Two [excerpt]

by John Shade
(A poet in Vladimir Nabokov's novel "Pale Fire")

There was a time in my demented youth
When somehow I suspected that the truth
About survival after death was known
To every human being: I alone
Knew nothing, and a great conspiracy
Of books and people hid the truth from me.

There was the day when I began to doubt
Man's sanity: How could he live without
Knowing for sure what dawn, what death, what doom
Awaited consciousness beyond the tomb?

And finally there was the sleepless night
When I decided to explore and fight
The foul, the inadmissible abyss,
Devoting all my twisted life to this
One task. Today I'm sixty-one. Waxwings
Are berry-pecking. A cicada sings.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Receive a poem a day

Beauty by Warsan Shire | Poems Rethabile Likes

Judas and the Sanhedrin by Rethabile Masilo | Poems Rethabile Likes