Drink Your Tea by Thich Nhat Hanh | Poems Rethabile Likes
Drink Your Tea
by Thich Nhat Hanh
Drink your tea slowly and reverently,
as if it is the axis
on which the world earth revolves
– slowly, evenly, without
rushing toward the future;
Live the actual moment.
Only this moment is life.
Wow! Wow! Wow! Just immensely powerful and his words, mesmerising as they are, are not only committed to paper, but mind, memory and history. Where did you find this? I needed to hear this today. That is what great poetry does. It reminds us, whether we are poets or just readers, whether we are just a captive audience captivated by a poem, to live with humanity, to carry ourselves with grace, to be mindful, to live life with intention, to find meaning in the mundane, and in ordinary tasks. These words resonate deeply with me in the majestic silence of the afternoon, as nature rejoices around me, as I sip a cup of green tea.
This man has taught me a lot about the true art of meditation, finding peace within oneself, and the life of a poet.
“I, myself, am a poet but I love working in the garden growing vegetables... I know very well that if I do not grow lettuce, I cannot write poems. The two are interrelated. Eating breakfast mindfully, washing the dishes, and growing lettuce in mindfulness are essential for me to be able to write poetry well. The way someone washes the dishes reveals the quality of his or her poetry.” Thich Nhat Hanh
And another quote from him concerning the life and artistry of a poem,
“If you are a poet, you will see clearly that there is a cloud floating in this sheet of paper. Without a cloud, there will be no rain; without rain, the trees cannot grow; and without trees, we cannot make paper".
Thich Nhat Hanh was truly an example for the ages, and for emerging poets. He was a one of a kind and a truly unique man and poet. He was a poet, and lived his truth. Thanks Rethabile, for your poetic understanding, intelligence and sensibility.
Comments
This man has taught me a lot about the true art of meditation, finding peace within oneself, and the life of a poet.
“I, myself, am a poet but I love working in the garden growing vegetables... I know very well that if I do not grow lettuce, I cannot write poems. The two are interrelated. Eating breakfast mindfully, washing the dishes, and growing lettuce in mindfulness are essential for me to be able to write poetry well. The way someone washes the dishes reveals the quality of his or her poetry.”
Thich Nhat Hanh
And another quote from him concerning the life and artistry of a poem,
“If you are a poet, you will see clearly that there is a cloud floating in this sheet of paper. Without a cloud, there will be no rain; without rain, the trees cannot grow; and without trees, we cannot make paper".
Thich Nhat Hanh was truly an example for the ages, and for emerging poets. He was a one of a kind and a truly unique man and poet. He was a poet, and lived his truth. Thanks Rethabile, for your poetic understanding, intelligence and sensibility.